Sunday, February 12, 2012

Top 10 Ways Golf Pros Can Grow Business: #10

"Top 10 Ways Golf Pros Can Grow Business"
By Sean Mysel - CrossGolfPros.com:  MODERN GOLF MARKETING
2/12/12



#10 - Free = Attention
Before entering the world of golf club management and instruction, I worked in sports arenas and baseball stadiums.  From 2008 to 2011 I worked at the Prudential Center in Newark, NJ, a minor league baseball stadium in North Jersey, university athletics and even had an offer to work at the Philadelphia Phillies ballpark.  One thing you learn being around minor and major league sports properties is the art of promotion.  When you have little or no advertising budget as do most teaching pros, there has to be other ways to grow the game.

At the course I worked at, I began giving people who bought range balls a free video swing analysis.  What began to happen from there is all good:

1) You keep your teaching skills sharp if there has been any down time

2) People love watching their own swings and many haven't seen them on video before

3)  Gives you a chance to open a dialogue with potential new students

4)  More selling opportunities

5)  Adds value to the property's operations

The set up I had looked like this:


Essentially it consisted of a $60 tent, laptop, camcorder with tripod, extension cords and I used a Dazzle to connect my camcorder to my golf swing software for capturing live footage.  After doing so, I began receiving requests to set up lessons and when I would be back, all buying questions.  There is one trick however.  Don't give away the farm when you do this!  In other words, give the person a small band-aid to fix their swing problems, but when you sell, tell them what they could be enjoying and what they are losing out on by getting lessons or not.