Saturday, February 18, 2012

Top Ten Ways Golf Pros Can Grow Business: #4

"Top Ten Ways Golf Pros Can Grow Business: #4 Networking"
By Sean & Stef Mysel
2/18/12



Remember the really popular kid in high school you just loved to hate.  You know which one I'm talking about, the kid who got the free lunches, all the best looking girls phone numbers and got the hot car once he got his license.  Yeah that one!  Everyone knew this kid, liked this kid and he seemed to get into whatever parties he wanted to.  We all loved to hate that kid but at the same time wanted to have the same things.  With your teaching business, it should be the same way. Instead we grown up now call it networking.

Here's how powerful it can be for you.  When I was finishing up my Master's at Columbia, I did not have the greatest looking job prospects and was running out of time to make something happen.  At that point, I was managing a minor league ball park, but wanted something bigger.  So my crew and I collaborated on a project to have a fundraising event for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation.  It was a big hit, raised a nice sum of money and the gentleman whose son we ran the event for introduced me to people who got me my first real job in sports.  Now, the same thing is happening here with my teaching business.  I researched some women's golf groups, got to speak with the lady who runs one of them locally and we're setting up lessons and clinics for the members.  Here's how to make it work:

1) Do Your Homework -  whoever it is you're trying to reach out to, make sure you know something about them.   If it's a particular person, know what they do and why they do it.  You don't need to use flattery, just make sure you know where they're coming from.

2)  Reaching Out - when you're ready to approach them, be the person that can help solve a problem or add to what they are doing.  In the case of the women's golf group, they don't feel as if teachers are interested in them, I am so I therefore fill a need.

3)  Follow Up - send out a friendly email, but if you really want to blow them away send a hand written letter.  This always gets opened and read which gives you a chance to pitch your teaching practice.

Why is all this stuff important?  It's important because you want to grow the game, grow your business and enjoy a larger income.  Here's just one way to make it happen and it's a tremendous amount of fun learning about new people.