Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Operation: Kill My Slice - Golf Grip & Swing Tension

"Operation:  Kill My Slice - Golf Grip & Swing Tension"
By Sean & Stef Mysel
5/1/12 - Happy May Day!

Going forward in our quest to eliminate your slice shot, we're going to look at a couple of factors that are rarely discussed in fixing a slice shot in your golf game.  Those factors are your golf grip and the amount of tension you put in your grip.

Our hands are the only interface we have with the golf club and of course it's the golf club that hits the ball.  No kidding right!  So it stands to reason that we need to pay careful attention to how we hold the club and why it can influence what the club face angle looks like at impact.

Before that though, let me tell you a quick personal note about how bad this shot killed my golf game in my younger years.

When I was in high school, I was recruited to play on the golf team.  My irons were good, putting solid, short game was respectable but I could not drive a ball in the fairway to save my life.  While other kids were hitting drivers, I hit mid-irons.  Worst part was getting asked by other players why I wouldn't pull out the big dog?

My response "Oh if I hit another slice I'll wrap this ****** club around that tree!"  It was that bad!

So this subject of slicing the ball is something I'm absolutely passionate about and want to lend a hand with.

Let's talk about the grip first.

Grip
Here is a picture of the three grip positions that you would use on the golf club:
picture from propergolfgrips.com

What we want to start with the the neutral grip pictured on the left.  Form a trigger as if you were holding a gun and wrap your hand around the club.  Put the club in your palm...now I know...it's going to feel really, really weird but it actually helps prevent making sudden movements with the clubface.  Actually read this from one of Hank Haney's books and has significantly improved my driving accuracy.

How do you tell if the club is positioned correctly?  You will make a "V" with your left finger and thumb that points to your right eye, anything pointing to the left of that is far too weak and to right will be stronger.  

The reason the grip is so important is because you interface with the club this way, but also it puts a certain amount of pressure on the club.  Normally we want to have an equal amount of pressure on the club, but for the purposes of curing a slice, let's use the strong grip.  Simply turn your hands to the right side of the club (or left for lefties).  This should help us close the club face far easier.

Tension

Know how you are holding the remote control for your TV and a story comes on about the "Octomom?"  The pressure on the remote increases as your irritation level with hearing that story increases as well.  

That sort of tension is a killer when gripping a golf club.  What happens here is the pressure you exert on the club's grip restricts your arms from rotating over which in kind prevents the club face from shutting at impact.   Conversely, the less pressure you put on the club the more it will rotate to closed.  

Ask yourself this question...out of a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the most tension...what would your number be?

Mine used to be a 7, I would squeeze sawdust out of steel it was so bad.  Try this, go with a 4 out of 10 and do your best to keep that constant.  What we want here is to try and close that face at impact and eventually hit hooks so we can get out of a bad shot.  

Best thing to do is experiment with different grips and tensions until you find the one that works best for YOU.

I would love to hear your thoughts about hitting sliced golf shots!  We answer all e-mails.

Also, check out our daily golf updates where you can get golf lessons like these waiting in your inbox!